"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." J.R.R Tolkien

Friday, September 28, 2012

Christmas Wish Lists

 
Do your kids write out wish lists to give to Grandparents around this time of year?  Mine do.  I don't know that they've always made it to the G's homes, but at least I know what to tell them when they call asking that all important question, "What do they want for Christmas?"

This year I decided to make a cute Wish List "wallet" that could be tucked into a purse or pocket.  Here is what they look like:

 
 
I started by cutting an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of cardstock widthwise, into 3-inch stips.  Then I folded one end up towards the other end leaving 1/2inch at the top.  Made a sharp crease then folded the 1/2 inch top down, making another sharp crease.  I then pulled out scraps of Christmas paper and, after measuring the size of the front, I cut a piece to adhere to the front of the cardstock.  This fit under the 1/2 inch flap.  I measured and cut another coordinating piece for the back (no picture).  I took a wallet sized school pic of each boyo and glued it to the bottom corner.  Punched 3 scalloped circles and wrote "My Wish List" on each.  Used a little liquid glass to accent the dots over the I's and glued them down.  In the 1/2 inch flaps, I punched a little hole to thread my ribbon through and adhered it on the inside so it would stay put.  The cute little bows I learned to make on Pinterest, with a fork!  No kidding!  It's so cool.  I keep the fork in my craft room now. 
 

 
Anyway, on the inside I glued down a long strip of lined paper and folded it up accordian style so it would fit within the wallet.  The paper clip on the outside was a last minute "what am I gonna do" problem solver.  I wanted the little flap to stay shut so my first attempt was using sticky velcro, cut to size.  I just didn't like the way it looked.  Too bulky.  So I ripped them off. Carefully.  But some of the paper still tore.  Oh well.  Nothing a little adhesive couldn't hold back in place!  I really wished I had some tiny adhesive magnets...alas I did not. (Do they even make those?)  But I did have colored paper clips.  Clip to the rescue!  Now I figure if the G's have coupons, they can clip them right to the list.
  
 

 
 
Honestly, they didn't turn out to match the idea I started with in my head.  But I like them.  And there is always next year, right?  Always room for new ideas, improvement and change.  Love that about crafting.  Have you started any holiday crafts yet?
 
 
 


1 comment: