"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." J.R.R Tolkien

Monday, February 27, 2012

Something Old...

I journaled a lot when I was in the midst of one of my serious struggles with depression.  I read through that journal now and then.  Here is something I wrote in January 2010:


My sadness...
I wish it was not mine.
Maybe that is how I must start-
     
 Disown it.
           
      Remove my name from it.

               Disconnect it from my self.



The sadness that hangs around me, that follows me, leads, accompanies me.
It pulls at me-
I cannot lift my arms to hug,
           My hands to write,
                My legs to walk.

It pulls at the corners of my mouth;
                I frown in my sleep.

It occupies every corner of my brain.
           My memories are sad,
                My thoughts are sad,
                    My words are sad.

My body and soul are consumed.


6 comments:

  1. Jenny, this is very good. It captures so well the HEAVINESS of depression.

    Thank you for saying this out loud. It makes the rest of us feel less strange for feeling this way too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily. Coming from a published writer, your comment means a lot to me.

      I am amazed at how I have been able to put into writing what I cannot vocalize...

      Delete
  2. Very profound and deep words Jenny!I am so glad that you are feeling better! I grew up with a Dad who suffered with depression for many years and it was so hard to see him so ill at times. He's been good for several years now and it is so wonderful to see him happy!Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. You are so kind! And thanks, I am doing so much better. Sorry to hear about your dad. I know it is so very hard for my husband and kids to watch me suffer. They don't know what to do; they cannot help. But knowing they are with me and there when I need them is SUCH a comfort. I'm sure your dad feels the same about you, and I'm so glad he's having happy times again.

      Delete
  3. You're right, honey. Depression really does consume us. Thanks be to God that He lifts us up and carries us daily. Thanks for putting words to such a gut-wrenching situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you visit, Kristi.
      If it weren't for God carrying us through, well, we'd have ourselves stuck in some pretty uncomfortable places, huh?

      Delete