So I did it. Again. I snapped at Mouse who was just wanting a hug.
The thing is, I was in the middle of writing. Of composing. Of putting together adult sentences complete with multisyllabic words. And I was interrupted for a little thing like a hug. I couldn't believe it! Could he not see that I was typing away right next to him? Could he not tell that my mind, and my hands, were occupied? Why did he have to choose such a time to ask for a hug?!
Oh the rush of emotions that flooded through me in a matter of seconds. Anger. Frustration. Confusion. Denial. Guilt.
My little Mouse is sick. Has been for two days. Just a low grade fever, but enough to keep him down and out. All he wanted was a hug from his Mommy. He's so patient to listen to my impatient crys of, "Just give me a minute! I'm trying to write something down." This is the same child who told me a few days ago, "You're the best mom, Mommy. Even when you are grumpy."
Isn't that how God deals with me? He waits, patiently, until I have time for Him. He watches while I busy myself with things that "can't wait". He remains faithful to the very end. He knows that His love for me will bring me back around. He does not give up on me. He floods me with grace.
Oh, the innocence of children. Oh, the mightiness of our God. Oh, the lessons He teaches me while I sit on my couch. I'm thankful He waits for me with open arms.



I truly know how that feels, Jen!
ReplyDeleteI get so mad at myself when I do things like this. There's nothing like the little ones God gives us to teach us about "love" and "forgiveness" and just what "poor miserable sinners" we are. Thanks be to God who forgives and helps us to forgive one another!
ReplyDeleteAren't our value signs just so whacked out?
ReplyDeleteYou'd give your life for him in a second, but can't take a second to give him a hug. I've been there more often than I want to think about. That's how messed up we are in sin. Thank God we can live in a continual state of repentance and forgiveness.
Thank you for the reminder, because I can't even imagine how many times I've been too busy for a quick hug, or a smudgy kiss, or even eye contact. Thank God that all our sins are forgiven, and that children are pretty resilient. They move on quickly, and are soon back for the next hug. Bless you today.
ReplyDeleteYup - I get you completely. "Just a minute." "Okay, I'm almost done." "Not now - I'm in the middle of something." "Later, honey, okay?"
ReplyDeleteIt's so easy to push away the important people. Thanks be to God for His constant forgiveness.
It happens to all of us! Don't be too hard on yourself! Angie xo
ReplyDeleteain't that the truth! As my little on reminded me the other day..
ReplyDeleteI said "just a second!" and he said "MOM. that was 12 seconds."
RGH.
Glad God is more patient with me than i am with them.
And someday, we might have room for completed thoughts whenever we want them.
Gotta run now tho, one is screaming on my knee!!!! :)