I feel most obligated to post something on Fridays, now that I've given the day it's own special title. Although today, there is nothing french press-y about it. So much has happened the past couple of weeks that I don't feel I've had time to breathe, much less write. Trying times for this introvert. Happy, celebratory times, though, too. And that's a good thing. A very good thing.
I attended the EVE conference for pastors' wives two weekends ago. I think it was our 7th year...? Not too sure about that. But the numbers keep growing and the wonderful topics just keep coming. I do so wish we could extend it a bit, from one night to two. But that's a hard thing to do for some of the women. Most of them, maybe. Lots of littles at home. It's encouraging, though, to hear from more and more members at church how they, too, wish it were a little longer....for my sake...for the sake of the other wives. These members know how much we give, and sacrifice, for the sake of our husbands' ministries. They like knowing that we, the wives, are being cared for and fed, too. It is encouraging.
And then last weekend, my oldest....my baby....my firstborn....my companion through the seminary years....was confirmed! I teared up during the service when he, with the other confirmands, answered the questions himself that were answered for him at his baptism.
"Do you renounce the devil?"
"Yes, I renounce him."
Do you renounce all his works?"
"Yes, I renounce them."
"Do you renounce all his ways?"
"Yes, I renounce them."
"Do you believe in God the Father Almighty...in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord...in the Holy Spirit?"
"Yes, I believe..."
Proud Mama. Proud Daddy. Proud family. If I could, I'd add a picture right now. But that will come. (A stop at Best Buy for some computer gadget is on my to-do list today. Then I can transfer pics more easily...)
We celebrated with a house full of family and friends. What a wonderful time it was! Bud enjoyed all the attention, I think. No, I KNOW he enjoyed it! And the gifts that come with the event, of course. Such a showering of love and well-wishes for him. A strong demonstration for him of those that love him.
I just enjoyed watching him. Taking pics. Trying to preserve this day, these memories. Another First for my oldest, my baby.
and a first for mama too :) Great post. I can only imagine that confirmation-day joy. Like Baptism, but actually seeing the fruit that is there, and God's faithfulness over the years...
ReplyDeleteRejoicing with you!
And maybe we will meet up at one of those pastor's wives things someday :) sure sounds nice!
Yep, a first for me too! Didn't think of that. :)
DeleteI think it would be wonderful if you could make it to this particular pastors' wives thing. It's a good one!
I get all teary just hearing my girls say "lead us not to tation" (lead us not into temptation) and Gerhardt's little "Men!" (amen) What a blessing for you and all of us Mamas.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, wouldn't a week long EVE getaway be wonderful?! It was nice seeing you there!
Love hearing the littles confess their faith in their own special ways. A WEEK long conference! Wow, you are ambitious! I like that! :) So great to see you, too.
Delete