Now, onward, to my grandmother's teacup collection. Here is part of it. Her tea service is in front.
A pretty white teapot with creamer and sugar bowl. The larger white covered dish is probably for holding goodies. And if you look to the far right of the teapot, you'll see more of the mess I mentioned earlier. Just ignore it. I usually do. Here's the rest of grandma's collection
.
A much nicer display. I really want to rework the organization and displayability (new word) of these shelves, but that's a project - and a post - for another day. Each one of these teacups is different. Each has it's own beautiful flower and unique shape. Here are a couple of my favorites.
Isn't this one beautiful? The inside of it shimmers iridescently like the inside of a seashell. Such fun to drink from. The shape of the handle and the scallops on the saucer are so unique.
With its pale pink color and delicate flower on the inside of the cup, I have to call this one precious.
Such beautiful, delicate blue flowers on this cup. Violets maybe? If they aren't, they sure are a close look-alike.
My only regret as far as these beautiful teacups go, is that I never got to use them with my Grandma. I don't know why. Sitting down to tea was not something she did, I guess. But I was so touched when I learned that she wanted me to have them. My mom has always been one to make use of the old antique, collectible type things. So I follow her example and I use these cups. I have shared a pot of tea with dear friends and it was so fun! Another time, a friend and I shared tea and treats with her daughter. The three of us drank with our pinkies in the air, trying our best to sound like English ladies. It was wonderful.
Putting Grandma's tea set to use for special, memory making days is so much better than letting it collect dust on the shelf (which it does!), only to be there for display. I remember her every time I look at the cups. But I remember her more deeply when I use them.
sorry about the linky problems! I'm sure most of it is on my end- i'm not sure what I'm doing either! Thanks for linking back anyway, even though the button didn't work.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, you inspired me with this post today. My grandma also gave me her teaset (or I ended up with it , somehow) ; and I also never actually drank anything out of it with her. But she had 8 kids, and there were 19 cousins around when we were all together...so that's probably why!
So, you inspired me to get it out again. I got it out for christmas, and for one special daughter picnic last year.. why not since then? It is time. but they don't drink tea. so maybe gatorade or something. ha.
gatorade would be great! Or apple juice, or hot cocoa. Anything to start the fun tradition. Good luck!
Delete