Do you remember the story? I remember reading it in first or second grade. I loved it simply because it was a story and had a well-written plot. Yes, even in second grade I recognized a good plot. But I questioned the simple-mindedness of the villagers. I mean, how obtuse could a person be?! I had it figured out with the addition of the first vegetable. Still, a fun story and probably a delicious soup. So! In honor of the cooler weather we are supposed to be having...AND in memory of Stone Soup and my first literary critique...I'm sharing some favorite soup recipes for the next several days.
Sausage Soup - simple name, but so delicious and full of health and goodness
1 pound Italian sausage
2 onions, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes, chopped/diced/whatever, undrained
6 cups chicken broth
1-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 cups bow tie pasta
In your soup pot, cook the sausage until no pink remains. Add onions and carrots. Cook til tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, cabbage, basil and garlic salt. Bring to a boil, stir in pasta, cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Serve in big soup bowls. Yum!
A few personal notes: I use Sweet Italian Sausage from Trader Joe's. This sausage is so good and flavorful, and has no nitrates. I use purple cabbage because I like the color and the boys eat it because it's purple. I worried it would get soggy, but it doesn't cook long enough for that to happen. It's soft, but still has a crunch. You can substitute any small pasta for the bow tie, of course.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment