"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." J.R.R Tolkien

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

More Soup



OK, I have to admit I was very skeptical when I tried this one.  As I was making this soup, it just was not turning out the way I had expected.  I was leery even reading the ingredients.  And I tried it anyway.

WOW! 

Am I glad I did!  It was very good.  I really should have known it would be because I got the recipe from one of my favorite foodies, Sweet Pea.  I don't think I've used one of her recipes that I haven't liked.  After thinking it over, I was hesitant about this soup because what I pictured in my head was a chicken enchilada soup whereas this is a chicken tortilla soup.  There's a difference! ..duh..  Anyhoo, onward!!


Tortilla Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (10.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 cup whole corn kernels
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
tortilla chips
shredded cheese

Heat oil in stock pot.  Saute onion and garlic; cook til tender, 5-7 minutes.  Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, tomatoes and broth.  Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro and chicken. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and top with tortilla chips and cheese.  Sliced avocado, green onions and a lime wedge were also suggested as toppers.  Wouldn't that be delicious?!  I had none.  Boo.

(adapted from sweetpeaskitchen.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment