In the service book we use, the service begins with the invocation and a remembrance of our baptism. We are reminded that we have been baptized into Christ's death. We are reminded that just as Christ was raised from the dead, "we too might walk in newness of life." We are reminded that we will have a resurrection like His.
The Psalm and the readings are always so comforting, full of the reminders of God's love for us that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. And more of God's love that when we stand before Him in Heaven we will see Him with our own eyes and will not be turned away. They are full of the reminders that whatever may pursue us here on earth, whatever may haunt us or harm us, it has no hold over us. We will be free!
We speak the Creed during the funeral service. We are reminded that, during this sad time full of tears and fears, we can find strength and comfort in one another as the body of Christ. We share the same faith and are not alone in our weeping. We pray the Lord's Prayer and again act boldly, trusting in His promises.
The Nunc Dimittis is probably what I found most beautiful. It begins with the words of Jesus from the book of John, chapter 11.
"I am the resurrection and the life," says the Lord. "He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in Me will never die."
Then the song of Simeon from Luke is spoken by the people. God's word has been fulfilled. We have seen it. We can go home.
I know that this funeral service is meant to focus on the life the deceased now has in Christ. And I know it's odd that I find the service comforting and calming. But I can see how beneficial this service could be as I read through it on my "bad" days. When my day is at it's lowest; when I can see no reason for moving forward another step; when I'm not sure what my purpose is, I can read this service and very easily be re-centered. I can be reminded of whose I am and who I am through my baptism. I can be reminded of Job and all of his troubles, yet how he, through faith, was able to focus on the prize at the end of it all. I can be reminded of my family in faith as I read the Creed and the Lord's Prayer. I can be reminded of the promises of my Lord and the gift of Heaven I have been given because of His love for me. And as the benediction reads at the end of the service, I can "go forth in peace, in the name of the Lord. Amen."
I can totally see how those things would be calming and comforting Jenny! And sometimes a different focus such as reading a passage instead of over thinking is a good thing! Have a lovely week! Angie xo
ReplyDelete"...reading a passage instead of overthinking..." Very true Angie! Thanks for your simple yet strong comment. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's not odd at all. I feel the same way about funerals done well (ie, the kind that focus on Christ and His Word and promises rather than on the virtues of the deceased.)
ReplyDeleteFunerals are for the living, the not-yet-dead, and we are the ones who need to hear that solid hope we have in Jesus!
Beautiful post.