When Bud was little, we had trouble with his behavior when he did not get his way. He knew how to pitch a fit, boy! The screaming would start along with tears. The attempts to argue, persuade and otherwise talk us into giving in to the desires of his toddler heart were impressive. Yes, he was good with words even as a toddler.
When he was a little older and we could begin to reason with him, I would talk to him about what was coming up - a play date, for example - and explain that it could not last forever. "When it was time to go, it was time to go...and NO PITCHING A FIT!" That seemed to work. It even got to the point that he would chant it with me.
But when he was younger, we just had to teach him that he could not always get what he wanted. Hubs and I, being the classic rock fans we are, found this particular song very helpful. The refrain was sung to our little Bud a lot! Hubs and I had a blast. Even if - most times - all our serenading accomplished was to infuriate our toddler even more. At least we kept our sanity!
WOW.
ReplyDeleteI was JUST singing this to my four year old. Seriously and I had not been to this blog yet.
Simpatico, we are!
Ahh, great minds think alike. :) Our poor kiddos!
Delete