"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." J.R.R Tolkien

Monday, July 16, 2012

An Assignment

The other day I gathered and scattered various objects on our table.

lids of two different sizes


It was SO very hot...again...and the boyos were getting cranky.  Or was it me?  When four people are couped up in a small space for days on end because it's just too hot to be outside...EVERYONE can get cranky.  True?  This scattering of objects was an attempt to waylay the Crankies.


A catapult made by Bud
Once all the objects had been gathered and scattered, I gave the boyos some simple instructions.  "Invent games!"

Angry Bird and a pig


"Using some, or all, of the items on the table see how many different games you can come up with."

Dixie Cups


It did NOT go as I had planned.  I had PLANNED to get them started and then let them go.  I would get some semi-quiet to read for a bit.  Nope.  There is no semi-quiet when you put three boys together and ask them to cooperate while inventing games.


Various tape lines

 
There was a lot of arguing, a little crying, a bit of yelling, a lot of stomping...and eventually some game playing!  They did it!  They came up with three different games - all of which involved things flying off the table. 

I must admit, for a while I did not think they'd finish the assignment.  I thought  I'd be sending them to their separate corners to cool off.  I thought my wonderful idea was going up in smoke!  A bit dramatic, yes, but I was terribly frustrated.  My idea was not coming to fruition.  But when the whole ordeal was over - when they boys had finished their fun - I realized something.  They had to work through the problem solving aspect of this assignment in their own way.  They each came up with a game.  They each got a chance to explain their game.  They each got a chance to play their game with their brothers.  Was that my goal for them?  Yes.  Did they accomplish it the way I had imagined?  Heck no!  Ah well.  You know what they say:

"The best laid plans of mice and "MOMS" oft' go awry."

Hm.

Maybe the Rolling Stones lesson is a better fit here.  I did not get what I wanted, but I got what I needed!



No comments:

Post a Comment