I think one of the reasons we as moms get so distracted is because of the domino effect. You are familiar with it, I'm sure. It happens when you begin one task which then causes another to be put on your list, and when you are busy taking care of that "one task" you see three more that need immediate attention. An example:
I took a load of laundry downstairs to be washed and immediately saw the 3 other loads already waiting to be put in the machine.
I also saw the two throw rugs Hubby tossed down there. I decided to get those rugs done first and shook them out before tossing them in. One of them scattered sand and dirt all over the floor.
While down there, the boys asked me to get the Playmobil Airport down for them. We keep it up because it's one thing we want to remain as a special activity, only being used occassionally. So I pulled it off the top shelf only to see tiny mouse poopies on it.
Gross.
Had to go upstairs to get the disinfectant. Back downstairs, wipe down the airport, tell the boys to wash their hands. Go back to sweep up the sand and dirt from the throw rug.
Re-sort the pile of laundry because apparantly I'm the only one who can decipher what the piles mean. My loving family members see a pile and just add to it. They don't understand the complexities of laundering clothes. You can't wash jeans with white socks! Well...actually you could if you wanted to. I don't want to. So the re-sorting begins.
Upon finishing that task, I see the totes full of clothes for the boyos that REALLY NEED ATTENTION! So many are hand-me-downs, for which I am grateful. But there are way too many. I have been meaning to get to this project all summer. *sigh* I pass by, choosing to put if off just a bit longer. Choosing to finish my coffee with Hubs. Choosing to read a little more. But I put the task on the top of my mental list knowing full well it will be the first domino to fall.
I wonder where it will take me?
It's so true Jenny...every time we start one thing, it leads to a whole bunch of other things! And sometimes I start one task before while I am in the process of doing another and on it goes!
ReplyDelete