"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." J.R.R Tolkien

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Being an Introvert

Introvert or extrovert?  Do you know which one you are?  My guess is, if you are an introvert and you know it, that you might feel a bit ashamed because of it.  Or that if you are an extrovert, you might feel a bit of relief that you're not an introvert.  Along with being an introvert comes the stigma of being shy, antisocial, a wallflower.  On the other end of the spectrum are the extroverts who are seen as the life of the party, the movers and shakers, the people we all look up to.  While these descriptions might be true, this does not lessen the importance of the introvert. I have learned that being an introvert does not define me, it simply describes me.


I knew I loved Audrey for a reason!
What is an introvert?  Simply put, an introvert is a person who needs to find some time alone in order to recharge the inner battery.  Quiet and solitude are what motivates this person and provides energy to meet the day.  Now, this is not to say that an introvert always needs to be alone or cannot tolerate noise. This is just what is needed after putting herself out there for a length of time.  For example, weekends tend to do me in.  The boyos are home from school, which is a good thing!  Please don't misunderstand me.  It just puts 5 people in our tiny house for 48+ hours (and only the introvert can relate to this!).  Add to that being at church for a few hours on Sunday where I float in a sea of people.  Again, being at church is a good thing, a needed thing.  But it also puts me "out there".  It's just a fact.  So when Monday rolls around I am more than happy to kiss my boyos and Hubby goodbye...and enjoy my quiet house all...day...long.  I might run errands, but I do it in a kind of fog.  I do it "in my own world".  I enjoy being on my own, accomplishing my tasks without having to talk to anyone.  And then at the end of the day when it's time for everyone to come home, I'm ready!

The extrovert, on the other hand, gets charged up by being with people.  Talking and mingling and sharing events of the day are energizing.  I don't get this AT ALL, but it's what I've learned and apparently it's true!  :)  Imagine the kitchen table at breakfast full of chatter and talk of plans for the day, maybe everyone sharing at the same time.  People talking over each other making sure everything gets said, from "pass the milk" to "don't forget I have practice after school."  This would look normal  and be energizing for the extrovert.  It might look normal to the introvert, too, but it would be chaotic.  The extrovert would be charged and ready to go.  The introvert would need to go back to bed!  Not because she was tired, but because she'd need a little quiet and a chance to restart the day.



Society tells us that being an extrovert is the way to go.  Extroverts get things done.  Extroverts get noticed.  From elementary schools to the workplace, it's the extrovert behavior that is encouraged.  The "cool kids", the popular crowd we all thought we wanted to be a part of....who were they?  The athletes who were out on the court or on the field.  The ones who went to the parties, to the dances, who sat in big groups at lunch.  The class presidents, the class clowns.  The ones with the big ideas, the ones who speak up first, who speak up the loudest.  Those are the ones we want as our leaders, don't you think?  But there is something to be said for the introverted behavior.  We think more and talk less.  We weigh situations before making decisions.  We have tremendous skill when it comes to observation.  We make the best listeners.  We have an eye for detail.  When we do offer an idea, it's usually well thought out and complete. 

So are you an introvert?  Or do you know someone who is?  Tomorrow I'll give you some ideas on caring for an introvert.  Nothing very profound.  Just some things I've learned along the way through my reading and...just living life as an introvert.

Blessings on your days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment