I was very recently introduced to a new type of cinnamon, called Vietnamese cinnamon. I always thought cinnamon was cinnamon. I didn't know there were different kinds. Kind of like basil. I can't just go to the nursery and pick up a basil plant for my garden. I have to choose which kind of basil. Oh boy. Me and decisions just don't mix well. I just figure this is God's way of telling me I am now old enough to handle choices. I can learn to decide. I'm a big girl now! Anyway, back to cinnamon.
A friend of mine has a certain affection for spices. I do, too. We learned that about each other recently and it led to a wonderful conversation about cooking, baking and a new spice shop in Omaha I have to find. She opened up her spice cabinet for me and started pulling out jars and bottles of beautiful spices; some I was familiar with, others were new to me. Vietnamese cinnamon (a.k.a, Saigon cinnamon) was one of the new ones. The smell is just heavenly. I have had a difficult time putting into words its scent. It is very much like the cinnamon we are used to, but different enough to make you say, "Wow! That's nice!" So I Googled "Vietnamese cinnamon" and hit upon the King Arthur Flour website. I'm familiar with King Arthur Flour and figured they might know what they were talking about when it came to baking goods. I'll share with you again the fruits of my research.
Vietnamese cinnamon is sweeter, more aromatic than the Indonesian cinnamon we find in grocery stores. It is ground from the dried, cultivated bark of cinnamon cassia grown in Vietnam. It has a higher oil content and therefore disperses more evenly through baked goods. So your goodies will taste more "cinnamony" through and through. KAF compares this cinnamon and regular cinnamon to a cup of rich espresso and a cup of watery coffee from a highway vending machine. I think this makes the difference quite clear, don't you?
Which brings me to why I'm writing about cinnamon on French Press Friday. I poured myself a mug of the heavenly, black goodness, added my half and half and then sprinkled on a good measure of Vietnamese cinnamon. And...it...was...delicious.
Have a blessed weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment