"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." J.R.R Tolkien

Friday, November 30, 2012

French Press Friday


Christmas, Simplified

As I sit sipping my coffee this mornig, my mind wanders to Christmas preparations and decorating.  Last night I was at church helping the ladies group get trees up and all the decorations out.  I wish I could say it was a wonderful experience.  I wish I could say we had music playing and everyone was in the holiday spirit.  But it was just a chore that needed to be done.  Question:  How many ladies does it take to hang garland from the balcony?  Answer: Only two, but about half a dozen stand below shouting directions.  Please don't get me wrong.  We all worked well together, we chatted happily and the church is beautiful, but it wasn't, um,...a Christmasey experience, know what I mean?  Kind of felt like Charlie Brown wondering what had happened to the Christmas spirit.

So I contemplate all of that and the Christmas decorating that needs to be done at my own home.  And the word that stands out in my mind is "needs".  So I allow myself to wander down a new path of thought. 

What if...

       ...I don't get out all those boxes full of Christmas decorations?
       ...I don't scatter Christmas memorabilia all over our home?
       ...I just use candles?
       ...I only pull out the stockings?
                    And our Advent wreath?
                            And our Nativity?
       ...I suggest just decorating the tree?

And do you know what?  I feel relief.  I feel joy and anticipation returning.  I think to myself, "So this is Christmas, simplified?"  I can do this.  I think I will do this.  I think I will spend less time adding to our clutter and more time baking, making gifts, sending cards, listening to music, watching classic Christmas movies.  And cuddling on the couch with Hubby.  These things bring me joy. 

I encourage you to find your "Christmas, simplified" this year.  Go for making memories and enjoying traditions of the past.  Enjoy Advent!  Anticipate the coming of our Savior and the salvation that means for us.  Find your joy.  Check your personal headaches of the season at the door.  They aren't worth it.


3 comments:

  1. Oh girl you are echoing my thoughts today. The stress is in so many cases unnecessary. ONE thing needful, and if we do a few extras, great, but 100 things? not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister friend! It's just exhausting to think about hauling all those boxes of decorations out of the basement. So this year, I'll do "what I can, when I can". Slowly cuz that's how we operate these days...slowly. And I'm finding rest and some peace in that. Decorations are super fun, but as you and Emily remind me, they are not the "one thing needful". I want our home to be filled with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! Speak it sisters! Don't get me wrong. I love, Love, LOVE Christmas decorations and I love decorating my home for the seasons. But this particular year, it sounds more stress-filled than fun. And who wants that?

    ReplyDelete