"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." J.R.R Tolkien

Thursday, January 19, 2012

So, what's up?

Hi, and welcome to my porch.  How about some coffee?  Tea?  Lemonade? I'm not much of a talker.  Hope you don't mind sitting in the quiet. Writing is my preferred method of communication.  I bet my mom wishes she knew that back when I was a teen.  Heck, I wish I knew that back when I was a teen!  It would have made things so much easier.  So, you're welcome to come and hang out on my porch whenever you like.  Hopefully, you'll find something interesting.
So today I am on day 2 of my annual personal retreat.  I started it just last year.  Since I've done it two years in a row, and plan on continuing it, it can be annual...can't it?  Anyway, this was my hubby's idea.  I was surprised, honestly, when he encouraged me to get away.  "And it's got to be a minimum of 3 nights.  Two just isn't quite enough."  And with that comment I was really surprised!  He wanted me to leave home for 3 nights and four days!  I don't know too many hubbys who would be up for that.  Especially with young kids at home.  But our boys are old enough to be independent and help out around the house, so I didn't argue with him.  I went.  And I enjoyed it.  I deliberately walked slowly.  I deliberately left my watch on the dresser.  I deliberately ate when I was hungry and not because it was time to eat.  I napped when I wanted to. I read uninterrupted.  I wrote.  And wrote.  And wrote.  It was heavenly!  And it's proving to be just as good this year.  Although my favorite spot, the sun-filled warm library, was taken over by a trio discussing the future of their mission churches.  I'm hoping they accomplished their goals and will be on their merry way by tomorrow.  But the best thing to do, I've found, is to think - to reflect - to meditate on my vocations.  When I am left to think uninterrupted by my loving boys or by my never ending to-do list, I am able to see blessings in every aspect of my life.  My thoughts are clearer.  They are focused more by God and less by me.  It brings understanding to the verse, "Be still, and know that I am God."

May you make time to Be Still and Know.

6 comments:

  1. I love the layout of your blog. It's cozy and warm - very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jenny! I just love this! I am so glad that you have found your "outlet". Pray that I may find my time "to be still". I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too. Send out the cavalry and I'll come a runnin'!

      Delete
  3. wonderful idea. I am jealous, coveting... and trying to be grateful for your sake :) Enjoy- may your spirit be refreshed!

    ReplyDelete