"What is this sadness we cannot name? Here is a question that deserves a loving meditation. Perhaps the heart of our melancholy is that we miss the woman we were meant to be. We miss our authentic selves." - Breathnach
When I was a little girl I listened to music and stories on my little record player constantly!
I just loved that thing. I would set up tea parties with my dolls and we'd sing the afternoon away. I loved books, coloring and crafts, baking cookies with mom, Christmas and pretty shoes. I think I had a pretty good sense of my authentic self. I knew what made me happy and I did those things. When I was in high school, I started on the path of losing that authentic self. Don't you think all girls do? The struggles to fit in, to look good, to read the right magazines, see the right movies, hang with the right kids. Our morals, our ideas, our opinions, our voice all get challenged. It can be so hard to hold on to ones authentic self. This is where the parenting role comes in so strongly. This is another topic altogether, isn't it? But I hope you see my point. Losing your sense of authentic self can begin early. And I think from then on it comes in and out of focus, sometimes more easily recognized than others.
"What is missing from many of our days is a true sense that we are enjoying the lives we are living. It is difficult to experience moments of happiness if we are not aware of what it is we genuinely love. We must learn to savor small, authentic moments that bring us contentment." - Breathnach
What are the small, authentic moments that bring YOU contentment?
- trying a new recipe?
- slowly arranging a bouquet in order to appreciate the colors and fragrances?
- planning a spring garden in the February?
- sipping coffee in the sun?
Spend some quiet moments thinking of the things that bring you contentment. You'll begin to recognize your authentic self. It's so fun to do!
"Let us consider our personal preferences and learn how to recognize, then embrace, moments of happiness that are uniquely our own." - Breathnach
Such true words. So often it's easy to try to please everybody else's perceptions of myself. Who am I really? Thanks for making me take some time to truly think about that.
ReplyDelete